Skip to content
- 2 filet mignon steaks
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked sea salt flakes, + additional for garnish
- 1/4 tsp fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 eggs, poached
- Remove steak from the refrigerator and season with salt and pepper. Set the steak aside to come to room temperature for 1 hour.
- When you are ready to cook, warm a cast iron skillet to medium-high heat for several minutes so that the pan is evenly heated. Melt butter in the skillet.
- Sear the fillets for 4 to 4 1/2 minutes, flip then continue cooking for an additional 4 to 4 1/2 minutes, for medium-rare steak, depending on the thickness of your steaks.
- Remove steak from the pan and set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- Sauté the shallots in the leftover butter and steak juices of the pan until they turn slightly crispy.
- Plate steak with a poached egg, crispy shallots and a few pinches of smoked salt flakes.