As a little girl, I always remember two significant memories about my mother, still true today—the importance she emphasized on family meal time and her love for whipped cream. She instilled upon me and my sister the sacredness of eating meals together as a family around our kitchen table, whether it was weeknight dinners or Saturday morning breakfasts—which is why my Nutrition Around the Table blog is greatly inspired in part by my mom. Second, her love for whipped cream—I always remember her mixing up fresh whipping cream and adding it to anything she possibly could, or simply eating it by the spoonful.
So for Mother’s Day I wanted to create a special waffle recipe topped generously with mascarpone lemon whipped cream! These coconut flour waffles are a creative twist on my original coconut flour waffles, and are light and fluffy due to the whipped egg whites and tart lemon juice. Beautiful purple spring blueberries add pops of color and sweetness to this grain free waffle batter.
I am forever grateful to my mother for supporting me along my journey of sickness and health and encouraging me to stay strong even when I just wanted to give up on my health. She is a huge reason why I started this blog and became a nutritional therapist, to share with others the joyful side of eating and encouraging you not to give up on your journey to better health. So thank you mom for all that you say and do, and to all the other moms that daily encourage their children to be the best! For all you moms, I hope you enjoy your special day, relaxing with your family and enjoying these delicious waffles!
Bon appétit and Happy Mother’s Day!
Grain Free Lemon Blueberry Waffles with Lemon Mascarpone Cream
A light grain free and nut free waffle topped with a rich mascarpone cream. Fresh summer blueberries give this grain free waffle batter a pop of color and sweetness.
makes 5 circular waffles
Grain Free Lemon Blueberry Waffle Batter
- 1/2 cup coconut flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 6 eggs, separated
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
Lemon Mascarpone Cream
- 4 oz mascarpone
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- Preheat waffle iron to low heat.
- Separate eggs, placing the yolks in a bowl and the whites in another.
- Use a hand blender to whip egg whites until soft peaks begin to form. Set aside.
- Add apple sauce, lemon zest, juice, vanilla and melted butter, mixing together with the egg yolks.
- Sift in coconut flour and baking soda.
- Fold in egg whites with the rest of the waffle batter being careful to not completely flatten the egg whites. Gently mix in blueberries.
- Generously grease waffle iron with coconut oil or butter and drop a large spoonful of batter into the center. Do not fill iron completely with batter. Carefully remove waffles when they are done and repeat with remaining batter. (These waffles are very light so I suggest removing them carefully with a flat spatula).
- As the waffles are cooking blend together all ingredients for the lemon cream until soft and fluffy.
- Serve with a scoop of lemon mascarpone cream, fresh berries, butter and maple syrup or honey if desired.
This & That
- Coconut flour is on the denser side of grain-free flours which is why I recommend whipping the egg whites until fluffy and serving with whipped cream, butter, honey or maple syrup.
- It is best to thoroughly grease your waffle iron and cook these waffles on a very low heat setting.
A complete Mother's Day Brunch—
- Waffles with a side of breakfast sausage or bacon
- Lemon Pound Cake with Honey Sweetened Lemon Curd, Cream and Berries
- Banana Bread with Maple Walnut Butter
- Truffled Eggplant Fries
- Grain-free crackers topped with pesto or mom's favorite cheese
- Goat Cheese Chicken Alfredo with Zucchini Noodles
- Pink Grapefruit Sparkler